Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Picture This

This past weekend I had the honor of taking photos for a friend's wedding. Initially, Joel had wanted to hire an old friend who is a real photographer but because it was such late notice he was already working (the couple had just gotten engaged on Monday and planned the ceremony for that Saturday!) We knew they needed someone there to chronicle such a special day and were left with the only viable alternative - me. I do not claim to know the first thing about professional photography, but I do enjoy taking pictures and feel I have somewhat of an eye for what looks good in a picture. I also have several friends with really nice cameras who are very sweet to let me practice. My good friend Christal loaned me her Canon SLR and armed with that and my limited knowledge of how to use that technical camera (thank you Ali and Cary) I set out Saturday morning. 
When I first showed up at the location I quickly realized I had forgotten how to use the manual setting and the basics of Aperture and all that other technical jargon. I had a mild panic attack as I blanked and was afraid I didn't even know how to take one picture. Then I remembered that little button at the front of the camera, you know the one you push to make the shutter click. Then I also remembered the provided automatic settings. Whew. So I slowly climbed out of the truck, praying I wouldn't screw up this precious couple's photos.
I took 945 pictures.
It was so much fun!
I had even more fun when I got home and played around with the editing tools on Picasa. Who knew photography could be so addicting? Aside from the fact that it was an absolute honor to do this for two very deserving people, the whole photography process was really exciting and served as a truly fulfilling artistic outlet. 
So here's my take away: One, I wanted to make sure I got this down on computer screen so I don't forget such a neat day. And two, I was reminded of how important it is to do things like this that inspire my creative side in the midst of being a stay at home mom. Even as I write this I have just had to deal with two fighting preschoolers and a major poop in the pants potty accident. It is easy to lose perspective and feel like you are living in a very small fishbowl. I love my two babies. Immensely. Would give my life for them. I know how blessed I am to have a faithful and giving husband and a home to live in and food to put on the table. But there are days when I feel like my brain cells are being sucked out of my head and depression is just lurking outside the front door of my heart. I am continually tempted to ask incredulously, "Is this as good as it gets?" like a spoiled child. I become restless and bitter, thinking I have somehow missed the boat for the "real" life I had planned back in college.
I truly believe God gives us opportunities to taste the goodness of His gifts so that we don't lose valuable perspective in the middle of the journey. As silly as it may sound to anyone else, God loved on me in a big way by letting me take part in this little wedding. I felt a sense of the bigger picture and had a chance to get out of the vacuum of my little world. I also tasted the sweetness of a thankful heart, which is good medicine for the soul.
These are some of my favorite shots. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment