Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Feeling the Funk

Man I am running on nothing but God's grace alone. Isn't it funny how He just won't allow us to stay in a place of neutrality or lukewarmness for too long before He yanks the rug out from under you? I know all the right things to say and the right Scripture to reference when feeling downhearted. But do I truly allow myself to 1) believe it all and 2) make a concerted effort to hang on to that truth for dear life? Unfortunately I have limped my way into a state of spiritual comatose and am having to battle to get my feet under me. It is far too easy to let the eternal things of life take a backseat to the obnoxiously loud temporal things. Things like changing addresses, fatigue, bills, getting dinner on the table, vacuuming for the 1,035th time; these all scream for my attention and I am lulled into an almost trance-like state. I find myself  simply trying to "make it" until the end of the day when I fall into bed exhausted and empty. I severely dislike the feelings of listlessness and anxiety that have somewhat taken root in my daily routine. The only way I can battle fruitfully is to call on the power of the Holy Spirit. Plain and simple. So I leave this computer now to go soak up God's word and to allow His word to penetrate my heart so that I am no longer like a reed being tossed to and fro whenever the wind blows. We are MORE THAN CONQUERORS in Christ! He has good things prepared for us to do if we would but take courage and follow Him.

2 comments:

  1. AMEN SISTER!!! Praying for you that you will HEAR Him speak to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading Ephesians 6 today and verses 6 and 7 really hit me: "...not by the way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but as servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man...." God used these verses to remind me that unfortunately, those obnoxiously loud temporal things won't disappear anytime soon, but that he is most concerned with my heart and disposition in the midst of them. Somehow, those things are not "throw-away" or just a place holder for something better. He is using them to make me more like his son. The secret is being able to worship God in them. And I agree, the only way that is possible is through the Holy Spirit changing my heart. But like you I desperately want my heart to be changed and seek to serve God pure-heartedly. How I miss you, friend!

    ReplyDelete