Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Happy Resurrection Day

He is Risen! He is risen indeed!
I must admit I woke up yesterday morning a bit cynical. Not because I wasn't excited to celebrate the amazing truth of Christ's resurrection.
No, I was a bit cynical because we were headed to our church's HUGE Easter service at the Frank Erwin Center. Where one goes to see basketball games and concerts. Our church is large. There is no getting around it. We did not ultimately choose our church, God chose it for us. We had bounced around for several years trying to find the "best" church in Austin. Did we really think it existed? In our prideful minds we certainly did. We moved one last time to a little community church, barely 4 years old, thinking we had finally reached our Mecca. A small and intimate church focused on going deeper and building true Christ followers; we had found the "perfect" church for our family. Only months after making this big change, this tiny church merged with a massive mega church. This church is solid in its core beliefs, vision and mission, but it is HUGE. Not our preference certainly, but clearly where the Lord wants us. We made a decision before all this had happened that this was it and we would stick where we were no matter what, barring some radically un-biblical leadership. We're in for good.
So I woke up yesterday fighting off seeds of judgement and frustration. I didn't want to go to a rock concert where our church would come off super hip and entertaining. I didn't want to show up at a huge facility where we sat in a mass of unknown faces. I didn't want to be led to an emotional frenzy aided by great lighting and visual effects. I simply didn't want to go.
After we dropped the kids off in what reminded us of stock show cattle bins, we slowly made our way to our seats. We ran into some people we knew and said, "Happy Easter!" with big smiles on our faces, but inside my heart was crusty. I picture a little old lady sitting in the corner of my mind smoking a Marlboro and muttering to herself. Not a pretty picture, but indeed where I was.
As the lights dimmed, I leaned over to Joel and said, "U2 concert here we go!" I am so glad I was preparing my heart to worship.
The first song I sang with arms folded across my chest and praying silently that my heart would change. I truly wanted to celebrate and honor Jesus with my worship and knew what I was presenting was not it. "But this is a big show Lord! They are making it really difficult to come before you on an intimate level. It's the church's fault."
Then our pastor, who is a highly gifted teacher, asked us to turn around and greet one another. "Oh great, now I get to do the awkward handshake and say the appropriate words and act so excited to be here." I turn around and am shocked to find our NEXT DOOR neighbors sitting behind us. I'm no mathematician but I would say the odds of this happening are minimal at best. This arena seats over 30,000 and I think the place was about 1/4 full. We didn't even know they were believers. To top it off, the wife had brought one of her Young Life girls to the service. WHAT? Believers AND involved in the ministry we hold dear to our hearts. Chance?
I turned back around and was immediately hit with a sober humility. God is much bigger than any of the hullabaloo and His sovereignty trumps my personal preferences.
As I continued worshipping, with a much more humble and thankful heart, I realized there was a gift just for me right in my line of vision. A precious African woman dressed in her beautiful traditional clothing was singing and dancing with total abandon. Next to her was a man with a large tumorous-growth on his chin, the kind you only see watching National Geographic, worshipping in the same fashion. Tears just started to flow as I realized God was meeting with me on a very personal level. I have a soft spot for Africa- never been there, but simply love the culture. I love the strong women who live in true community, know how to laugh at the troubles that come their way, and most of all I love that they DANCE. Some day I know God will let me go and be a part of what He is doing in that country. I know it may sound silly, but I truly believe God put her in my line of sight as a reminder of how much He loves me. Isn't it funny how He seems to have a special language with us all?
The remainder of the service was wonderful, the sermon pertinent and truth-filled and I walked away filled with the scent of a sweet encounter with God.
He is Risen!

1 comment: