Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Much Better Morning


Just smile.

Whew. Made it through a day of self-reflection and at times, self-loathing. All of that wrapped up in one little neat bundle called "too much self." I am a wretch, not sure why that surprises me at times. Now moving on.

I have missed these little punkins this week, much more than I anticipated. They help keep my feet on the ground. They are just so dad-gummed cute...most of the time. This week of freedom, aka my ultimate me-cation, has offered a giant dose of perspective. I have been trudging through the past few months in a sort of martyr-like trance, missing the fact that this fish bowl existence of life with preschoolers is going to pass in a flash. I am praying my eyes would be ever opened to the gift I have in staying home with our babies.
Ok on to some random thoughts and quotes.
1) My sister sent me a link to this blog because it involved the slamming of my least favorite pastor in Houston, Joel Osteen. Is it even right to call him a pastor? I can't think too much on it or a rant is sure to ensue. Anywho, I clicked over to this blog and it is SO much fun to read. I am hooked. Check it out if you have a few hours http://afigleaf.wordpress.com The blog name is based off this awesome quote from Kierkegaard:
Thanks and thanks again to Him who offers to the man
whom the sorrows of life have assaulted and left naked-
offers to him the fig leaf of the Word
with which he can cover his wretchedness.
I know, right?
2)
In the beginning the church was a fellowship of men and women centered on the living Christ.
Then the church moved to Greece, where it became a philosophy.
Then it moved to Rome, where it became an institution.
Next, it moved to Europe, where it became a culture.
And finally, it moved to America, where it became an enterprise.
-Richard Halverson

Today I will focus my energy on the living Christ. What will that look like? How the flip should I know. I just know He has called us to so much more than self-consumption and ME ME ME ME.

3) Pandora is my BFF. I feel like someone has been hiding this wonderful secret from me, sort of how I felt when I first experienced Facebook. I was introduced to this gal yesterday while listening to aforementioned Pandora: Sara Groves. She is really cool. I like her music. Her song, "Awakening" is full of great lyrics and a beautiful melody. Take a little listen on itunes if the moment should so sieze you.

1 comment:

  1. Love your perspective and honesty. I'm thinking every stay-at-home mama needs a me-cation...and mine needs to happen, like now, before my brain turns to mush...haha :)

    ReplyDelete